Patient Centered Shared Decision Making
If you can be surprised by a decision a significant other would make, why would you be surprised when our patients choose for themselves something different than we would choose for them?
As the healthcare delivery system morphs under regulatory and payment restructuring, our perspective must encompass our patients’ preferences regarding their healthcare.
This is particularly pertinent in cardiovascular care where the patient interfaces with rapidly advancing technologies, multiple pharmaceuticals, novel approaches to chronic care and multiple viable treatment options.
There are 3 basic rules that facilitate the delivery patient-centered care and enhance an environment conducive to shared decision-making:
1. Evidence based medicine alone is not sufficient to deliver quality care
2. An understanding of individual patient values & preferences is required
3. Each patient has a personal context that will influence his or her clinical decision-making
Decision-making models are evolving and educated patients are looking for us to engage them in unique ways. Ideally, for effective shared decision making, we as the healthcare professionals are providing our patients recommendations and deliberating the options with each patient, their family and significant others.
Essential steps for patient centered shared decision-making include:
- Seeking your patient’s participation
- Helping them explore and compare treatment options
- Assessing your patient’s values and preferences
- Reaching the best treatment decision with your patient
Why is this important? Ideally, the goals of Patient Centered Shared Decision Making include:
1. Improving the patient experience,
2. Improving health outcomes, and
3. Lowers unnecessary healthcare costs.
Increasingly, reimbursement will incorporate a healthcare policy that requires implementation of shared decision-making. More importantly, that is just the right thing to do for our patients!
For more information on how Columbia HeartSource can help your team implement patient centered shared decision making contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To Learn More: Join us in NY for our upcoming Network Day Event September 24th, details and registration at: http://columbiaheartsource.org/annual-network-day